The Averoff Art Gallery is a museum of modern Greek art. It consists of paintings, sculptures, drawings, and engravings by Greek artists of the 19th and 20th centuries. The origin of most of the museum’s permanent works is from the Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza Collection. In the museum’s five large exhibition rooms one can see the history of Greek art and its main trends brought up to the present day through the work of contemporary artists.
Evangelos Averoff-Tossizza (1910-1990), politician, writer, and inspirer of the “contemporary miracle of Metsovo”, had for many years dreamed of creating a high-quality museum of modern Greek art in Metsovo, his hometown. With that end in view, he collected 200 paintings and sculptures, and over the years formed what is considered one of the most representative collections of the period.
In 1988 he constructed the three-store building which houses his collection and donated both paintings and building to the Foundation which bears his name. The Gallery opened on August 27th of 1988. In 1994, the original building was modernized and a new adjoining building was constructed. Exhibition areas were considerably increased, and the Gallery’s permanent collection was enriched with new acquisitions.